Convergentie in de evolutie

Discussies over de evolutieleer, creation science, 'jonge aarde' creationisme, de zondvloed etc..

Moderator: Moderators

Rereformed
Contacteer:

Re: Convergentie in de evolutie

Bericht door Rereformed » 12 aug 2014 15:43

Ik heb wel een artikel gevonden op het blog van Jerry A. Coyne, waarin de gedachte die bij Dat beloof ik meteen opkwam uitgebreid besproken wordt:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... evolution/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some people have doubted that Conway Morris’s work on convergence was either conditioned by or heavily influenced his views on God. For these doubters, I urge them to check out an article I read yesterday, “Creation and evolutionary convergence” (pp. 258–269 in The Blackwell Companion to Science and Christianity, J. B. Stump and A. G. Padgett, eds. 2012, Blackwell Publishing). I am publishing two excerpts from the book (leaving out the section on “Predictable evolution?” since I’ve already discussed that idea), to show how Conway Morris’s belief has slanted his science. It is an example of religionism (the opposite of scientism): my neologism for the tendency of religion to overstep its boundaries and claim that science gives evidence for God or the supernatural.

From the section “The Emergence of Cognition,” here’s Conway Morris claiming that the emergence of mind from matter testifies to the transcendent (i.e., Jesus):

There seems to be no a priori reason why mind should emerge from matter. The solution (if that is the word) is to postulate that mind is identifiably different. This need not lead to dualism. Consider this alternative, that whilst mind is certainly embodied in one sense, we serve as receptacles, or perhaps better an “antenna” for mind. From this perspective, we should be neither surprised that we have access to truths that are themselves immaterial, nor immediately dismiss “out-of-body” experiences.”

But it is the theological implications that are even more intriguing. Talk of mind as a real property invites consideration of a whole spectrum of issues, such as the nature of free will (the emergence of which from a materiality which is oblivious to intentionality seems to be incoherent), the sense of purpose, and the likelihood that whilst our minds are necessarily embodied (although near-death experiences suggest this is not essential), in other agencies mind could still be very much part of the universe but from our mundane perspective immaterial. (p. 265-266)

And, from the section “And Christianity?,” Conway Morris justifies miracles (p. 266):

What then of Chistianity?. . . The idea of a god may be bad enough, but to have him wandering around in an out-of-the-way nook of the Roman empire, with a raggle-taggle band of followers, then fizzling out in an all too common method of execution, and to cap it all to claim he was God incarnate seems risible. They might, however, benefit from a refresher course in theology rather than sitting at the feet of the village atheist.

What we seem to see is an interpenetration of worlds with the unavoidable conclusion that much lies beyond our mundane expectations. Such is evident from the Transfiguration, Resurrection, and Ascension. Science in its present primitive state has very little useful to say about any of these events: just because they are inexplicable does not mean that they did not happen.

It is sad that such an accomplished scientist has gone this route: I wonder if his religiosity preceded or followed his scientific studies. What’s even sadder—and annoying as well—is that Conway Morris goes around purveying this kind of “evidence” for God in public venues, such as the Gifford Lectures and talks at the infamous Faraday Institute at Cambridge University. (Cambridge is fast becoming a hotbed of mush-brained accommodationism).

Inevitably, Dr. Conway Morris’s work on evolutionary convergence was supported by The Templeton Foundation ($983,253 from 2006-2009), and his work on the emergence of biological complexity, along with that of five other principal investigators, was also sponsored by Templeton ($3,584,147 between 2005-2008). For my previous posts on Conway Morris, including his evolutionary views and connection to Templeton, go here, here, and here. I predict that within a decade Conway Morris will nab the Templeton Prize.
Born OK the first time

MoreTime
Bevlogen

Bericht door MoreTime » 12 aug 2014 16:05

@Rereformed; deze link was reeds door HankS gepost. Geeft niet, nu staat het gequote leest wel handig.
"Het goede leven is een leven ingegeven door liefde en geleid door kennis.", Bertrand Russell.

Rereformed
Contacteer:

Bericht door Rereformed » 12 aug 2014 16:29

MoreTime schreef:@Rereformed; deze link was reeds door HankS gepost. Geeft niet, nu staat het gequote leest wel handig.
Ah, ik zie het. Wel, kun je nagaan hoe weinig er te vinden is over het christen-zijn van Conway Morris. Er waren er wel twee die er naar zochten!
Uit de tekst kun je overigens goed opmaken hoe er tegen zo iemand in de wetenschappelijke wereld gekeken wordt: "It is sad" en "it is even sadder" somt het helemaal op. Hij zal serieus worden genomen zolang hij zich als een evolutiewetenschapper laat zien, maar zodra hij aankomt met zijn religieuze overtuigingen, zoals dat hij in de wonderen van de verheerlijking op de berg, de opstanding van Jezus of zijn hemelvaart gelooft, zal men hem dat aanrekenen als een onbegrijpelijke, zo niet onvergeeflijke flaw in zijn denken. Iemand die geen God nodig heeft voor het hele verloop van de evolutie, maar opeens een stel mythische verhalen van 1900 jaar geleden zo serieus neemt dat hij gelooft dat ze van werkelijk geschiedde gebeurtenissen getuigen, wekt opgetrokken wenkbrauwen op.
Vreemd genoeg verwijst Conway Morris mensen naar een basiscursus theologie waarvan ze zouden kunnen leren dat de soep niet zo heet gegeten wordt als die wordt opgediend, maar heeft hij blijkbaar niet zelf die basiscursus gedaan. In de theologie worden al tenminste sinds David Strauss de wonderen niet meer opgevat als letterlijk gebeurd.
Born OK the first time

MoreTime
Bevlogen

Bericht door MoreTime » 12 aug 2014 16:37

Doet me dan direct weer denken aan Cees Dekker. Voor creationisten zijn zulke mensen 'great assets'. Net als de zogenaamde bekering van Anthony Flew.
"Het goede leven is een leven ingegeven door liefde en geleid door kennis.", Bertrand Russell.

Rereformed
Contacteer:

Bericht door Rereformed » 12 aug 2014 16:40

Ik vind nog een site met een interview:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/inter ... ins-27362/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vraag: There are many theories out there trying to explain the origin of man from a biblical perspective. Of course, one of the growing ones you already mentioned was intelligent design (a theory that argues life is a result of an ultimate “designer”). Why do you feel the way that you do about intelligent design as being “nonsense.”

Conway Morris: Well, as again I’ve written elsewhere. I don’t think it's science, per se, and I entirely agree with many of my other colleagues who just see that the scientists and the nature of hypotheses and the nature of proofs and the effect of developing ideas toward some approximation of what’s really happening. Whereas intelligent design effectively says, ‘Well, you’ll never know, because for all intensive purposes, God did it.’

Hij is dus fel tegen Creationisme, maar in de vorige tekst van hem die Coyne aanhaalde, liet hij weten dat hij de Transfiguratie, Opstanding en Hemelvaart serieus kan nemen met exact de redenatie die hij verwerpt wanneer het Creationisme behelst: "just because they are inexplicable does not mean that they did not happen" staat gelijk aan zeggen: "Well, you’ll never know, because for all intensive purposes, God may have done it."
Born OK the first time

Peter van Velzen

Bericht door Peter van Velzen » 12 aug 2014 16:45

Rereformed schreef:Ik vind nog een site met een interview:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/inter ... ins-27362/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vraag: There are many theories out there trying to explain the origin of man from a biblical perspective. Of course, one of the growing ones you already mentioned was intelligent design (a theory that argues life is a result of an ultimate “designer”). Why do you feel the way that you do about intelligent design as being “nonsense.”

Conway Morris: Well, as again I’ve written elsewhere. I don’t think it's science, per se, and I entirely agree with many of my other colleagues who just see that the scientists and the nature of hypotheses and the nature of proofs and the effect of developing ideas toward some approximation of what’s really happening. Whereas intelligent design effectively says, ‘Well, you’ll never know, because for all intensive purposes, God did it.’

Hij is dus fel tegen Creationisme, maar in de vorige tekst van hem die Coyne aanhaalde, liet hij weten dat je de Transfiguratie, Opstanding en Hemelvaart serieus kan nemen met exact de redenatie die hij verwerpt wanneer het Creationisme behelst: "just because they are inexplicable does not mean that they did not happen" staat gelijk aan zeggen: "Well, you’ll never know, because for all intensive purposes, God may have done it."
Ik zie nog wel een verschil tussen "did it" en "may have done". Maar zoals ik al vermoedde, liet hij zijn geloof wat meer de ruimte als hij niet met zijn werk bezig was. Lijkt me wel zo verstandig.
Ik wens u alle goeds

Rereformed
Contacteer:

Bericht door Rereformed » 12 aug 2014 16:54

Peter van Velzen schreef:Maar zoals ik al vermoedde, liet hij zijn geloof wat meer de ruimte als hij niet met zijn werk bezig was. Lijkt me wel zo verstandig.
Inderdaad, in het interview laat hij ook weten geen geloofscrisis gehad te hebben omdat hij geen behoefte heeft aan zeker weten. Maar in de volgende ademtocht komt hij weer aan met een zekerheid die hij zich aanpraat waarover menig theoloog zijn wenkbrauwen zou ophalen:

Vraag: Have you ever made some discoveries that have ever tested your faith?

Morris: Well no, because I think that it’s unfortunate that people want definite answers. You have to remember what happened on that early Sunday morning in April AD 33.
I mean, yes - I don’t mean to be flippant about it - I will never be sure, at least on this side of the grave. I think the intellectual consistency of Christianity in historical evidence is frankly overwhelming, but my materialist colleagues regard me as a slightly sad case. But I can’t understand, given that there is a structure there and indeed a record; I don’t think it’s easy to explain it away.

But in that sense, I very much approach my own Christianity from the same intellectual traditions that were set out so clearly by Dorothy Sayers and C.S. Lewis for example. Of course, there are many ways of arriving at these conclusions in ways that may be far closer to what the founder of Christianity aimed to do.

"intellectual consistency in historical evidence is frankly overwhelming" is wel het laatste wat iemand die erop gestudeerd heeft uit zou spreken. Maar wellicht heeft hij nooit verder erop gestudeerd dan het doorlezen van apologetische boekjes als Lewis' Mere christianity of Frank Morrisons Who moved the stone. Hij is tenslotte paleontoloog. Het feit dat hij zelfs het jaar 33 noemt voor het gebeuren laat zien dat hij zijn neus niet diep in de materie heeft gestoken.
Born OK the first time

Doppelgänger
Bevlogen

Bericht door Doppelgänger » 12 aug 2014 17:08

Veelvuldig gebruik van wezelwoorden. Let ook op hoe hij niet al te subtiel de bewijslast verschuift: "I don’t think it’s easy to explain it away."

Waar hij eigenlijk had moeten zeggen: "It's not easy to explain", aangezien de bewijslast bij hemzelf ligt.
"Strange new trend at the office. People putting names on food in the company fridge. Today I had a tuna sandwich named Kevin." - Some E-cards

MysticNetherlands
Forum fan

Bericht door MysticNetherlands » 12 aug 2014 20:23

Jerry A. Coyne schreef: It is sad that such an accomplished scientist has gone this route: I wonder if his religiosity preceded or followed his scientific studies. What’s even sadder—and annoying as well—is that Conway Morris goes around purveying this kind of “evidence” for God in public venues, such as the Gifford Lectures and talks at the infamous Faraday Institute at Cambridge University. (Cambridge is fast becoming a hotbed of mush-brained accommodationism).

Inevitably, Dr. Conway Morris’s work on evolutionary convergence was supported by The Templeton Foundation ($983,253 from 2006-2009), and his work on the emergence of biological complexity, along with that of five other principal investigators, was also sponsored by Templeton ($3,584,147 between 2005-2008). For my previous posts on Conway Morris, including his evolutionary views and connection to Templeton, go here, here, and here. I predict that within a decade Conway Morris will nab the Templeton Prize.
What is sad, is that atheists in particular do not seem to respect the difference between scientific publications and books. And are seemingly unaware of the many lectures and debates both christians and atheists organize. Accusing Conway Morris of something like the above is like accusing Dawkins of having an atheist agenda; true but so what? Everyone does it and as long as it does not compromise your scientific methodology, even if angry blog writers claim so, it's okay.

MysticNetherlands
Forum fan

Bericht door MysticNetherlands » 12 aug 2014 20:26

Rereformed schreef:Hij is dus fel tegen Creationisme, maar in de vorige tekst van hem die Coyne aanhaalde, liet hij weten dat hij de Transfiguratie, Opstanding en Hemelvaart serieus kan nemen met exact de redenatie die hij verwerpt wanneer het Creationisme behelst: "just because they are inexplicable does not mean that they did not happen" staat gelijk aan zeggen: "Well, you’ll never know, because for all intensive purposes, God may have done it."
Zolang er geen wetenschappelijke vindingen zijn die die zaken sterk ontkrachten (zoals dat bij creationisme wel het geval is), is daar ook niets op tegen.

Rereformed
Contacteer:

Bericht door Rereformed » 13 aug 2014 07:24

MysticNetherlands schreef:
Rereformed schreef:Hij is dus fel tegen Creationisme, maar in de vorige tekst van hem die Coyne aanhaalde, liet hij weten dat hij de Transfiguratie, Opstanding en Hemelvaart serieus kan nemen
Zolang er geen wetenschappelijke vindingen zijn die die zaken sterk ontkrachten (zoals dat bij creationisme wel het geval is), is daar ook niets op tegen.
Toevallig hebben ze in de wetenschap ontdekt dat alle mensen aan de zwaartekracht gehoorzamen en niet ten hemel varen. Ook dat ze allemaal doodgaan en niet weer na drie dagen opstaan, ook dat mensen duizend jaar na hun dood niet nog eens terugkomen op aarde voor een gezellig gesprek.
Het belangrijkste punt is dat iemand in zijn privégeloof wat bepaalde gebeurtenissen betreft plaats maakt voor goddelijk ingrijpen, en wel op het getuigenis van een verhaal uit de ijzertijd, waarvan hij de wankele basis niet schijnt te beseffen maar zelfs als sterk ziet, terwijl hij als wetenschapper in het gigantische proces van evolutie geen enkele reden ziet om ook maar ergens een reden te zien waar goddelijk ingrijen nodig is. Indien het niet triest is dan is het komisch.
Born OK the first time

DiMensie

Bericht door DiMensie » 13 aug 2014 11:25

Rereformed schreef:Toevallig hebben ze in de wetenschap ontdekt dat alle mensen aan de zwaartekracht gehoorzamen en niet ten hemel varen. Ook dat ze allemaal doodgaan en niet weer na drie dagen opstaan, ook dat mensen duizend jaar na hun dood niet nog eens terugkomen op aarde voor een gezellig gesprek.
Zulks kan de wetenschap niet ontdekken!
Net zoals de wetenschap niet kan ontdekken dat alle Raven zwart zijn

MysticNetherlands
Forum fan

Bericht door MysticNetherlands » 13 aug 2014 11:32

DiMensie schreef:
Rereformed schreef:Toevallig hebben ze in de wetenschap ontdekt dat alle mensen aan de zwaartekracht gehoorzamen en niet ten hemel varen. Ook dat ze allemaal doodgaan en niet weer na drie dagen opstaan, ook dat mensen duizend jaar na hun dood niet nog eens terugkomen op aarde voor een gezellig gesprek.
Ik weet niet of je sarcastisch bent, maar je hebt gelijk.

dikkemick
Ontoombaar

Bericht door dikkemick » 13 aug 2014 11:37

DiMensie schreef:
Toch...als je 10.000.000 raven hebt gezien en allen zijn zwart, zal de eerstvolgende naar alle waarschijnlijkheid ook wel zwart zijn.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philip K. Dick

Doppelgänger
Bevlogen

Bericht door Doppelgänger » 13 aug 2014 11:41

De stelling dat je zaken niet moet uitsluiten zolang daar geen sterk wetenschappelijk bewijs tegen is, behoeft wel enige nuancering. Dat er geen bewijs tegen een bepaalde aanname is, betekent namelijk nog niet dat die aanname automatisch plausibel is. Rereformed geeft terecht aan dat er geen enkel gedocumenteerd geval bekend is van mensen die dagen, of zelfs jaren na hun dood ineens weer springlevend op de stoep staan. Ook van mensen die spontaan kilometers omhoog vallen hebben we geen voorbeelden.

Dat betekent niet dat dergelijke zaken nooit zouden kunnen gebeuren, maar wel dat dat zeer onwaarschijnlijk is. Niet iedere aanname is dus 'reasonable until proven otherwise' omdat het tegendeel niet aangetoond kan worden.
"Strange new trend at the office. People putting names on food in the company fridge. Today I had a tuna sandwich named Kevin." - Some E-cards

Plaats reactie